Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Lesson Two

Day two

Objectives:

1. Good readers are able to map stories based on main events, setting, characters, and details of the story.
2. Good readers are able to write a summary of the story in their own words.
3. Good readers are able to focus on suffixes of words; changing y to i before s.
4. Good readers are able to properly spell words that are at the age level and be able to determine what the words are and how to use them in a sentence.

Procedures:

1. We will start out the day finishing our elementary spelling inventory. We will finish the list given to us based on his age and then work to determine what stage the student is at based on the feature guide.
2. We will then move onto our reading. We will be reading chapter one of "Dragon of the Red Dawn." During this time I will be conducting a running record based on the reading I chose. We will not discuss together what words are missed but rather just go through what happened in the story.
3. After the student finishes reading the first chapter we will be doing story mapping based on what was read. He will be asked to answer questions about what was happening in the story and discuss main details of the first chapter.
4. If there is time at the end we will be working on our word sort. We also want to make sure that the words that were chosen are a good fit for the student based on the Spelling Inventory Feature Guide.
5. If the word sort is not a good fit we will move on to chapter 2 of the book and continue story mapping.

Reflection of student:

During our first task of finishing the spelling inventory I could tell that Jason was not ready to start out with such a tough list. Although we had started out with easier words we jumped right into the middle of the list with more complicated and complex words. He did he best and although he did not move up as far as I thought he would he still was able to get some of the sound patterns and blends from the words given to him. We then moved on to our reading of the "Dragon of the Red Dawn." he told me that he had been reading this story at home but had not finished it yet (he was on chapter 5). Jason did an awesome job of answering the simple questions that were given about the first chapter and even explained to me that Japan was the setting without me explaining that was one of our main objectives. When we moved on to a few of the more specific questions of the book he did get a little confused. He did use his resources wisely and looked back into the story to find the answer he needed. He was not only able to use the text but the pictures provided to determine that they had made it to their destination of Japan this was using his background knowledge of what buildings and gardens of Japan looked like.

We then moved on to our word sort based on the spelling inventory given to him. We started with suffixes and more specifically changing the y to i in plural words. I asked him to sort out the words how he felt was right and the first sort was mainly on the sounds of the word rather than spelling. He gave an oddball list of words based on the a sound they made where all the rest made an "oy" sound. During his second sort we talked about the spelling of the word and to focus on how they would be sorted that way. He immediately told me the rule of changing y to i and adding es without him seeing the word sort headers. Knowing that this is something he has already mastered my plan is to move on to a more complicated sort for him to work out next time.
      


Reflection on teacher:

I started the spelling inventory at the middle of the list because I wanted to save on time and also not worry about that as much as our main lesson plans for the day. Knowing now that they may have been a little too complicated at first I would make time to start from the beginning of the list and work our way into the tougher words to ease him into the task rather than just set him loose.
We started reading the "Dragon of the Red Dawn" and this is where I found out he was already reading the book in his free time at home. I was able to get him to think about details and setting as well as some of the main characters a little more than what he would have on his own by story mapping. I wanted to make it a fun activity but where he would be able to learn about the details of what is going on as well. Before we got into our activity of story mapping I conducted a running record on the first couple pages of the chapter this is where I found he was reading at a 93% accuracy rate with his error rate being 1: 18.5 and his self correcting rate being 1:4. This shows me that although this may be at his reading level this text may be a slightly easier read for him. I considered switching books and trying something different but I believe that this will only cause confusion. I decided I will be finishing our story mapping with the same book but will also incorporate some other activity to work on different comprehension skills.
During our word sort I wanted to give him the opportunity to find out what the rule was before I explained to him how they should be sorted. I let him sort them based on the sounds the letter patterns made rather than spelling first and asked him to explain his thinking. Every answer he had for me was also brought with some sort of explanation of his thought pattern. Although he did sort the words incorrectly the first time he did have a great explanation based on the sounds the word patterns made. I wanted to put emphasis on how our word sorts will be working on the spelling of words and not just the sounds they make. This is when he was easily able to figure out the rule and tell me what it was without my helping him.
Once again Jason has shown me that he knows a lot more than I expected going into our tutoring sessions. This means that I plan on getting some more challenging tasks for him to work on but also want to make sure that I am not overwhelming him with work.

No comments:

Post a Comment