Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Lesson One

Day One:

Objectives:

1. Good readers know their interest so they can make motivating book choices.
2. Good readers know that spelling words is important.

Procedures:

1. Start with the interest inventory with the student. This should take 5-10 minutes and is a guided worksheet.
2. We will then go into a spelling inventory with the student. I will be using the elementary spelling inventory for our 3rd grade friend. This will be administered by me and will strictly be focused on what the student knows and at no time will we be going back and learning what words were misspelled.
3. After the spelling inventory is over I will be listening to the students read aloud. During this time I will be creating a running record with the students to track their reading levels.

Reflection on student:

Jason (pseudonym) showed a lot of interest in the reading survey we conducted and was very interested in being able to pick his own books he would be interested in for our tutoring sessions. During our time going over the reading survey I learned that Jason was very interested in video games and also to run outside. He told me that his new favorite books to read involved the Star Wars characters and also the Magic Tree House Series. He already enjoys reading and states that it is his favorite subject where as math (mostly multiplication) was his least favorite subject. He seems confident in the choosing of his own books and told me that he understands most of what he reads and if not he doesn't mind asking questions about the text. To get an understanding of where he was at we started a spelling inventory. He did an excellent job on the first 15 words showing little sign of struggle when spelling them out. He focused on the sounds and patterns involved and was great to ask for it to be repeated if need be. We moved on to read a short story that to no surprise to me he had already read "Dogzilla" was one of his favorites and he was able to retell the story to me as soon as we ended. He also turned the tables on me and asked me to make predictions on what was going to happen! Over all I placed Jason at the M reading level with great potential to move up a level or two.




Reflection on teacher:

As we started our tutoring session I knew that I had a child that already enjoyed reading. My first thoughts were that I would need to be able to keep him interested throughout every session we met. I wanted to have him keep telling me his thoughts on what we read and how he felt about being here with me during his summer months. Although he didn't seem to mind he continued to change the subject to similar but yet off topic conversations. As someone working one on one with a student I need to remember that we do have limited time to get as much as we can done without leaving him on the edge during our last visit. I decided that I would make our focus for our next session be around the Magic Tree House Series and hopefully choosing a book that he would enjoy but have not read yet. I also wanted to create a lesson plan that would continue to be engaging and not repetitive with the text that we chose. I also was not able to finish his spelling inventory as I wanted to make sure I was able to hear him read and judge on what type of books he would be able to read. Judging by what I saw and heard from Jason I determined we would work on suffixes for our word sort at our second meeting. We would also begin a chapter book lesson about retelling and visualization, with the lack of pictures in the book we were reading I wanted him to be able to explain to me the setting and characters based on what we planned on reading. Overall I believe our first session together went very smoothly. I still need to be able to keep him engaged at all times and make sure that he is prepared for our session each time. I can achieve this by explaining the objectives first thing before we start any tasks.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, this is in every respect what I need to know. Thank you, Private tutor Far Hills it's very interesting. I wish you all the best and every success in future.

    ReplyDelete